Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Memory of HAWAII: Garlic Shrimp

When we traveled to HAWAII last December, we ate many many wonderful food over there.
The lucky thing was one of my husband friend lives in there and he recommended us great local restaurants.
He especially recommended Shrimp Wagon in KAHUKU.
SHRIMP_TRUCK
P1020292
According to him, this Shrimp wagon is LOCO’s (Loco = local people in Hawaiian) favorite food truck. Sometimes he drrives to KAFUKU just because only for Garlic Shrimp dish.
P1020293
Rice and macaroni salad (up left), and garlic shrimps on the cabbage salad (up right).
And it was AWESOME!!!!!!! It was so good that I can eat it everyday!!!!! It was really worth to drive far from WAIKIKI beach just for this dish!!!!

Two months has passed since we came back from the trip, suddenly we missed HAWAII and the taste of garlic shrimp!!!!

Sometimes I like to challenge myself to cook what I ate in the restaurant. I try my best to recall the taste of the dish and figure out its ingredients and seasoning to cook it in my kitchen.
And this is my version of Garlic Shrimp dish.
P1030047
Rice is same as original. Instead of macaroni salad, I made potato salad. And garlic shrimp on the cabbage salad like original.
P1030048
Here is what I did.
I prepared shrimp with garlic, salt and white pepper with some potato starch. Potato starch helps to keep shrimps tender even after its cooked.
And I sauteed them with butter. Also I added some garlic powder in the end.




The result was really good!ペロリ I could put some more garlic and butter… But hey, it was a first attempt, so I am happy with the result. It was really close enough what we had in HAWAII.
And less butter is less fat and a little healthier anyways.ウインク

No comments:

Post a Comment